This week, for Alpha 9, we have the pre-cursor to many of our upcoming updates, which is being able to use your abilities outside of quests. Right now, this will allow you to see information about the animals in the game world, such as observing a species in order to learn about its social habits.
Being able to use your abilities outside of quests is important because in the near future, this will be used to register information pages in the Biodex to populate information and make a species available for placing in your custom ecosystem (H.E.L.O.). For more about what’s coming up, remember to check out the forum thread on upcoming releases at this link.
Please note that these abilities only work on animals, but plants. Plants are something that we plan to enable in the future, but we have some technical problem solving since the plants are all grouped for optimization purposes rather than being read as individual species that would enable these abilities and scanning.
- Players can now use abilities on animals to get information. Each ability gives different information on the species, and information may even vary between the same species.
- Scanning a species then selecting their information pin will reveal one of three different Interaction information pieces you can obtain.
- Observing a species then selecting them will reveal one of three different Social Life information pieces you can obtain.
- Taking a photo of a species then selecting their information pin will reveal one of three different Habitat information pieces you can obtain.
- DNA Extractor: This will become an ability in the near future and it will reveal one of three different Life Cycle infos you can obtain; for now, it’s still a quest-specific tool.
- Added two new species in the Mojave biodome: coral snake, and the Gila Monster.
- Added a new quest “Where Polar Bears Roam” in the Tundra biodome.
- Added a new quest “Venom Verification” in the Mojave biodome.
- Players can now use either right click or left click during observation mode to gather an evidence.
- Abilities now fire off reliably, so players should no longer find themselves clicking or pressing their ability key multiple times before firing.
- “Nothing happened” notifications no longer display when a player uses the wrong ability during an Analyzer quest